Steps to add a new business to the Acxiom database
Listing and claiming your business with Acxiom is one of first steps to improve your local search rankings. Acxiom is 1 of the 3 data aggregators where you will need to list/claim your business.
In this tutorial you will learn how to:
- Add a business that is not currently listed with Acxiom.
- Enter all business info & upload Federal/State licensing copies.
- Confirm your listing with email verification.
- Check back periodically for Acxiom staff manual approval.
- Post approval category selection.
- Phone verification to complete claimed business profile.
Acxiom Steps for Adding your Business Listing
Select “Learn More” button to advance to next page.
Select the “Get Started” button to advance to next page.
Select “Add a Listing” button to advance to next page.
Enter first name, last name, and phone number. Select the “Next” button to advance to next page.
Create username, password, email, and security question. Select the “Next” button to advance to next page.
Add all business information (name, address, phone, website, classification, contact name, and contact phone). Upload Federal Tax License, State License. Select the “Next” button to advance to the next page.
You will see the Add New Business page notifying you to check your email confirm your business registration with Acxiom.
Check your email for a confirmation from email@example.com. Click on the MyBusinessListingManager.com link in the email to complete email verification.
Now you are back at My Business Listing Manager page. Select the “Login” button to advance to the next page.
Enter your username and password created in step 7. Select the “Login” button to advance to the next page.
You are now at the Main Account Page for your listing. Your business is “Awaiting Validation”. The documentation (Federal Tax License, State License) you submitted earlier is pending approval. You will receive an email from Acxiom once they review and approve State & Federal Licenses. This may take up to 7 days for the Acxiom staff to review.
Once MBLM Support has approved your Licenses and listing you will recieve an email similar to this.
Once your business is added, entering the business phone will populate your listing. Select “Claim this Business” and complete the claiming process.
You will be sent another email with a after claiming your business. Acxiom will send a verification password to your email along with a 800 # to call to complete verification. After calling Acxiom with your pin you will be able to modify your listing and add your business categories.
Info about Fees
I had many questions on this post & Twitter about fees so I contacted the staff at Acxiom. Tiffany with Acxiom was very helpful and I have posted info that she shared with me below for your reference:
Claiming a listing does not do anything or verify anything on the Directories Products database because it is already on the database. The only confirmation is to the user. If the user puts in a phone number or Business Name, gets information returned, and is happy with that information, then he/she does not need to do anything further. Claiming a listing is only beneficial to the user if he/she wishes to modify the listing or add additional information that will allow his/her business to be more influencial in a web search of the business name/classification/service/etc. which can only be done once the $50.00 is paid. No modification to the listing is allowed or adding a new Business is allowed without paying the $50.00.
The benefits of paying the $50.00 fee:
- Verify the listing remains correct – a newer phone book being published may come through the system with different or wrong information. Newer phone books take precendence over older phone books because the data is considered fresher/newer/more accurate data. The data that is modified in the MBLM interface takes precedence over any other source data so if the user claims and pays the $50.00, the information the user either verifies or modifies, will always take precedence over any newer phone book or Telco data that comes through the system.
- Adding additional information – Some businesses have several different services but some websites only choose to list one or two products/services. Those same businesses will usually advertise under several different phone book headings. Data providers do not always know the main business under those situations so a print shop may be listed as a retail outlet for print paper when their primary business is printing. Sometimes a business does not even have a classification in the database because they do not advertise in the yellow pages. By claiming a listing and paying the $50.00, the user can modify or add a product/service which will assure the merchant an accurate web search for his/her business.
- Adding a newly formed business – phone books only print once a year at the earliest so a new business has a challenge in getting the name out other than word of mouth. Even data compilers that also use Telco data as a source only receive a business name, address and phone number from the Telco providers. A new business will benefit a faster method of getting the information on the web by paying the $50.00 and providing the business information, especially any products, brands and services they provide. It will take at least 30 days to get to the website providers but is much quicker than other methods and certainly more accurate.
- There are also additional benefits listed in the FAQ and the MBLM interface but the ones listed above will be the biggest lift to merchants.
I am unsure where the 60 day approval came from that the blogger mentions below (could be before the modified MBLM was update). The MBLM interface is refreshed monthly with the new database information however once a user claims his/her listing and pays the $50.00, the information the user submits takes about 30 days to get into the database. It depends on the time of the month the listing is modified and when the database is refreshed which is why we state 30 – 45 days. It might only be two weeks to be in the database but will still take a few days to be delivered to clients and those clients have their own timeline on refreshing their websites.
Thanks Tiffany for your help and assistance!
If anyone has questions throughout the process, definitely use the live tech support (as Cody has outlined) or call (866)750 -5438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.